Experience Our Heritage

Category: Treasures Around Goodland


What do you get with five Grant Jr. High students, their ideas, and the museum?  An all new exhibit entitled “We Chose Goodland” being displayed at Mann’s Jewelry/Smitty’s Sports! 


Here at the High Plains Museum we have the exhibit of Goodland Treasurers up.  This exhibit shows some of the treasurers of Goodland as well as explaining why Goodland is special.  One of Goodland’s treasures would be the railroad.  The railroad started the serve Goodland in 1888 and continues to serve Goodland today. 


On the corner of 10th and Main Street sits a building that once was the center of communication and is now a storage facility for the County.  During the 1930’s through the 1970’s, the Telephone Building was a vital part of Goodland life and now serves as a reminder of beautiful architecture and the history of the Read more…


Take a look down Goodland’s Main Street.  What do you see?  Today’s main street looks very different from that of 1920.  No longer do we have a dirt road but paved brick, and while some of the businesses have gone, some of them are still there but with different names.


When Sherman County was first started children went to school in one room school houses.  It was very different from how it is now, with some children only going three months and eight grades were taught in the same room all together!  Teachers taught with whatever they had on hand and boys and girls could not play Read more…


In the library facing 8th Street is a beautiful stained glass window.  The window is of a train and is entitled Old ‘Engine 99.’  The train is representative of a railroad that used to come through Goodland.  That railroad was the Chicago, Kansas & Nebraska Railway and it brought the first train into Goodland on July 3rd Read more…


The Sherman County Theater has had quite a journey to get where it is today.  Before we had this theater there were three other theaters in town; the Crystal Theater, the Only Theater, and the Lyric Theater.  These were placed in existing buildings around town including the Goodland State Bank and the Gray Front Hotel.  All three Read more…